Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Where is He?

LEXI

Sometimes I feel like Charlotte on Sex and the City, lamenting, in vain it feels, about my long wait for Mr. Right. Like Charlotte I am in my thirties, and though I was never like Charlotte strategizing about getting married, I do wonder why I've been dating for almost 20 years without finding my Mr. Right.

I get asked many times, and as I age the questions increased, Why isn't a smart, beautiful woman like you married? Hmm, yeah, why am I still single?

I've definitely enjoyed my single life, but it's been like eating ice cream; sometimes too much of a good thing can start to make you sick. A few weeks ago, I got sick of being single. I was going on a number of dates and not connecting to anyone. All the rapid turnover started to make me feel dizzy. Hey God, I want off this merry-go-round!

Of course I've started asking myself the hard questions, Is it me? Am I too picky? Well, yes and no. Okay, alright, I can be picky. I admit I'm prejudiced against short men, i.e., men that are shorter than me. There I said it.

I didn't realize the full extent of my prejudice until I moved to New York where it seems the cold air makes men shrink. Hey it's possible cold water has a shrinking effect too. ;-)

Am I too romantic? Is my vision of meeting the perfect guy getting in the way of meeting the guy who could be great for me? One of my girlfriends always seems to have a boyfriend. She'd meet a guy and say to herself, I can work with this. Maybe I'm not good at working with men.

Or maybe I just haven't met him yet? Looking over the men I've dated, I've wondered if I missed the boat with any of them. But I don't think so. I could've been happy, but I couldn't have been me with them. Hmm, when I look at it that way, the wait doesn't feel like its in vain. I'd rather wait for the right one then have to divorce the wrong one.

No comments: