Sunday, March 11, 2007

Potentially Awful

NIKKI








Mr. Potential and I went out for our third date Friday night. We met a few weeks ago at a party and dates one and two were great. The conversation flowed seamlessly from music to religion to food. He had a good sense of humor, though slightly corny but I've always had a soft spot for that. He isn't my typical type of guy, but then the trifecta of great phone calls, emails, and dates aren't typical either.

All week, I looked forward to Friday night, to seeing him in person and seeing if there was potential for more. We agreed to meet at 9:30 on Friday, after he would finally be finished with work at his high powered job. I found the outfit that was casual, yet sexy and applied my favorite perfume accordingly. The night before I'd gone on a hunt to find the right hair product and carefully attacked any pimples that might attempt to erupt. Friday night came and after drinks with my girlfriends, 9:30 began to approach. He sent me a text asking if we could meet a little later maybe 10? No problem, my girlfriends are still willing to hang out. We wend our way through 3 different neighborhoods, closer to where Mr. Potential and I had agreed to meet. Well, 10 came and went as did 10:30 and 11. My girlfriends have been troopers all night, but have to leave me. Still not a problem because he's sent me a text that he'll be there in 5 minutes. I make my way to the restaurant (it's about 11:30 now) to find the place closed. Diners already inside can get out, but I can't get in. NO problem because he'll be here in 5 minutes, hmm actually should have been here 10 minutes ago at this point...

Two and a half hours after we'd agreed to meet (that'd be midnight), he finally shows and I am pissed. I'm ravenous (I'd turned down food at every place I'd gone with my girlfriends, cold (sexy is not generally warm), and did I mention pissed? He was full of apologies and then jokes to try to remedy the situation, but sometimes you've gotten to a point where none of that is enough.

At one point, the prospect of a 4th date of even talking to this guy again was dying a slow and torturous death. I asked about his ex (brilliant move on my part), the waiter spilled water on him, and the conversation stalled at every turn. In a particularly evil move, I ordered a tuna nicoise salad, and when asked by the waiter if I was okay with the ancovies told him I was indeed. In my mind, there was zero prospect for a kiss so why not put an exclamation on the point.

But, somewhere in the last half an hour, things got drastically better. I made a joke and then he made one. We traded a few jabs about the night and suddenly even with anchovy on the breath (I did manage to find a piece of gum), I wanted nothing more than to kiss him. You never can tell how the night will end up and I'm looking forward to finding out how the 4th date goes.

3 comments:

moonrat said...

Ugh! FINE!! You think you like him, I know, and I am probably mad enough about his behavior for us BOTH!!!

But LET ME TELL YOU if he DOES end up becoming your boyfriend he is going to have to WIN ME OVER after all this!!

Bluenana said...

Oh dear--those are fightin' words, Moonie.

Well, I have to say that I feel a little warmer towards him because I had a chance to read that first date email. I saw his perfect punctuation and the very careful thought he put into the restaurant descriptions AND the handy links to descriptive CitySearch pages. I thought, gee, if he put that much thought into suggesting restaurants, just imagine what else is in store.

Plus, he's ambitious, and I nor anyone else who hopes to be more than just an ASS can't fault him for that. He's batting for a promotion, so he's got chains around his ankles too.

BUT, if he has a snowball's chance in hell of getting to the next base, he better cough up for a super chic 4th date to help smooth over the bumps of the 3rd.

Like I said before, there better be surf 'n turf and diamonds when he comes around again.

moonrat said...

humm. it's not like i can't see myself putting out for perfect punctuation...